Halloween Faves

Sunday 29th October


Halloween is almost upon us so I thought now would be a brilliant time to write about my Halloween favourites! I'll be covering movies, books, food, and costumes that are my favourites.

First thing's first... Costumes!
You've got a Halloween party coming up and you've got no idea what to dress up as. What do you do? Scary? Funny? Sexy? Traditional? Here's my 3 favourite costumes I've dressed up as before:

- Bellatrix Lestrange; I went full out for this one. Backcombed and plaited hair, heeled boots, and corset. Dedication!
- Pirate; Wasn't my best costume, but I had a proper pirate hat that lasted a night out clubbing and came back home with me!
- James Bond; I went as James Bond to celebrate the release of Quantum of Solace (shame the film was rubbish!). I was too young for a vodka martini, shaken not stirred, though.


Costume's sorted, now snacks!

- Peanut butter popcorn; okay, maybe not exclusively autumnal/Halloween themed, but good enough!
- Salted caramel anything; it's such an autumnal flavour and one that's really popular around autumn/winter. Salted caramel brownies are a must.
- Pumpkin spiced; need I say more?
- Chocolate chip cookies; a bit of comfort food for watching horror movies.
- Sweets; my sweet of choice will always be maoam strips. Fruity pieces of heaven!
- Chili; not exactly a snack, but a massive bowl of chili accompanied with tortilla chips is the ideal warm comfort food.
- Marshmallows; for roasting on a bonfire, making smores, or on top of your hot chocolate.


Books!
Just in case you're not into trick or treating and/or horror movies, why not snuggle up inside with a good ol' scary novel?

- The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
- The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- It by Stephen King
- The Shining by Stephen King
- Any novel written by Stephen King
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut


Movies:
You can't beat a good horror movie marathon. However, there are so many awful horror movies out there (*cough* the Saw movies *cough*) how do you pick the best ones to watch?

- The Scream Quadrilogy; how someone can hate these movies I don't understand. They are everything a 90s horror should be with the huge phones, tacky outfits, and awful haircuts. What's not to love?
- Halloween; a classic. Jamie Lee Curtis as the Scream Queen, this is the movie where she won my heart. No one insult my baby, J.
- Jaws; one of my favourite films of all time. What makes the film more terrifying is the omnipresence of the shark; is it near the boat? Is it in the water? Is it behind you? Not to mention the iconic two notes that strike fear into the hearts of everyone who has seen this movie. Were you brave enough to go back into the water?
- Prom Night; both original and remake. Brittany Snow in the remake was surprisingly good. I was worried at first as I'd only seen her in cute and fuzzy roles but she was brilliant in this.
- Would You Rather; another Brittany Snow movie with a thought-provoking message - how far would you go for the ones you love? Not for the faint-hearted.
- Friday 13th; getting stalked while camping on the unluckiest day of the year? Love.
- You're Next; a fairly modern take on slasher movies, one where the female is as badass as my girl, J. Loved this film and found myself cheering at every awesome thing she did (if you've seen it, think the scene with the nails and wood - incredible).
- Nightmare on Elm Street; still not 100% sure I knew what was going on throughout this film which made it even scarier. The thought behind the movie and attention to detail makes it even more awesome.
- The Ring 2; Okay, the Ring was scary, but I found the sequel even more terrifying. Plus, it has one of my favourite lines of all time "I'm not you're f****** mummy".
- Psycho; a classic and one of Hitchcock's finest.
- Rear Window; more of a thriller than a horror, but one of the most cinematically pleasing movies of all time.
- It; both original and remake. Tim Curry is iconic as Pennywise, and the remake gives a new life to the story we both love and fear.
- The Blair Witch Project; not usually on everyone's list of favourite horror movies but there's something about this film which I adore. Although the scene in the basement at the end can do one...



What do you have planned for Halloween? And what Halloween favourites do you have?
Let me know!

Zj x

Comments

Popular Posts